Audition for Hartford Chorale!
What is it like to audition for the Chorale? Click here: http://www.hartfordchorale.org/wp-content/uploads/Audition-Story.pdf for one member’s audition story.
Next auditions: Watch this space for details!
- Handel Selection: Messiah, #37, “The Lord Gave the Word”
- Haydn Selection: Little Organ Mass (Missa St. Johannes de Deo), “Sanctus”
- Mozart Selection: Requiem (Sussmyer version), “Lacrimosa”
- Rorem Selection: from “Seven Motets for the Church Year”
- Schubert Selection: Mass in G Major, “Osanna” (which follows the “Sanctus”)
Hartford Chorale, the region’s principal symphonic chorus, generally holds auditions 2-3 times per year. Auditions last about 15 minutes and will be held at St. James’s Episcopal Church, 1018 Farmington Avenue, West Hartford. An accompanist will be provided.
We are looking for qualified singers who can accurately and independently prepare music, read music well, and commit to a significant number of rehearsals and concerts during our multi-concert season. Interested candidates should have choral experience and must provide a letter of recommendation from a conductor or teacher who can speak to the candidate’s experience in choral singing. Candidates will be provided with specific musical excerpts to prepare (see below). Other components of the audition will include some vocalizing to identify range and timbre; short, melodic fragments to be repeated by memory; and brief tests of sight-reading ability and learning speed.
Rehearsals are held on Monday nights from 7:00 pm to 9:45 pm at St. James’s Episcopal Church in West Hartford.
Details about our audition process appear below. Please be sure to review all sections of this page and to prepare the audition information form (linked below).
The Hartford Chorale uses the Appointy Scheduling system to handle all auditions and re-auditions.
To sign up for an audition slot, follow these steps:
1. Click the “Schedule an Appointment” button below.
2. When the next window opens, click “New Member Audition.”
3. Scroll to the audition dates listed above on the calendar and click on the date.
4. Choose an available time slot from the calendar.
5. Click “Book Now” in the pop-up window.
6. Setup an Appointy account (can be reused) by clicking “First time user? click here.”
7. Enter account information and select “Register and Book.”
Please email Catherine Little at firstname.lastname@example.org with any issues or questions about using the scheduling system. You’ll receive a reminder email 24 hours before your scheduled audition takes place. If you should need to reach someone on the day of auditions, please call Steve Cottle, Audition Coordinator, at 860-462-7285.
Please email email@example.com with questions about the audition process.
Each audition will involve singing prepared pieces and also some vocal exercises and tests of pitch memory, intonation, diction, and sight reading. Please download and complete the Audition Information Package and bring it with you to the audition. Please choose 3 from the 5 musical excerpts below in which to sing your voice part while the accompaniment is played. Please print and use these versions of the pieces, and please organize all music into a binder or folder to prevent unnecessary paper shuffling. Download the music by clicking on the selections below.
[Please contact Catherine Little at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or issues accessing the files.]